The famous winds of the Gorge are driven by the temperature gradient between the desert to the east and the Pacific coast to the west.
- Windsurfers sail in much higher winds (30+ knots) further east near Hood River where the gradient is the greatest.
- We sail at Cascade Locks because the west winds are more suitable to dinghy sailing.
- August is prime time for dinghy sailing at Cascade Locks.
- Average Daytime Temps – 75-80 F / 24-27C
- Average Winds – 12-18 knots
- Average Water Temp – 70 F/21 C
- Classic Cascade Locks August day is a cool morning with west winds around 8 knots building to 18 knots by the afternoon.